This debut album from New Zealand singer/songwriter, Kathryn Overall, offers a folk-pop collection of melodic, story-telling songs infused with depth, beauty and contemplative spirituality.
Not All The Leaves Are Falling
Kathryn Overall | Debut Album
For three happy years, I picked away at this album of songs which span seven years of my life and story. It came out in 2016.
These songs explore the liminal space between loss and hope. The collection is my melodic ode to difficult endings and strained new beginnings, to getting lost and being found, to unlocked traumas and healing journeys, to deep, quiet and still places, to feet-finding, hope-discovering, friend-making, community-building, to awakening, to spiritual graces, to reinvention and liminal spaces – and through it all, to the Mystery I sometimes call God, source of eternal love, my compass and my horizon, my deep silence and my brave expression.
I hope you discover space for your own stories inside my words and find your own sense of hope within my melodies.
Kathryn Introduces the Album
Not All the Leaves Are Falling | Track Listing
- The Year the Birds Came Back is about my creativity returning.
- Sunset Road captures my town to country commute.
- Miss You is a song I hold close and treat gently.
- Walk On is a song about hope in the face of loss.
- Sometime contains the energy of an untold story.
- Kaleidoscope is a soundscape of the beauty in the bits and pieces.
- Aubade took me seven years to finish.
- Echoes of Eternity was written when my Gran was diagnosed with cancer.
- Silent Retreat is an invitation to Presence.
- Forest is a dreamy fable of being lost and found.
- Not All The Leaves are Falling is my ode to mystery and my future self.
- Legacy of Love was written for my grandparent’s 50th wedding anniversary
- Benediction (Let it Rain) is an invitation to trusting surrender.
Why I Put One Minute of Silence In the Middle of My Album
Silent Retreat | The Story Update: At the very last minute I had to pull 'Silent Retreat' off the digital release version of 'Not All the Leaves Are Falling' as iTunes, Amazon and Spotify etc. would
My Blessing Prayer for You | Kathryn Overall
My Album Blessing Prayer When the time came for me to create my CD artwork for my 'Not All the Leaves Are Falling' album, I had one panel on which to say whatever felt important
‘Threshold’ | A Poem by Kathryn Overall
As I send my first album, Not All the Leaves Are Falling out into the world I have a satisfied and relieved sense of letting go of this project that I have been carrying for
Creativity, Resistance and Soul Care | By Kathryn Overall
Creativity, Resistance and Soul-Care How creativity can lead you homeward. I recently listened to a podcast conversation between Krista Tippett and Elizabeth Gilbert about creative living which echoed some of the lessons I have learnt
The Secret Life of Trees
During the endless energy of my 20’s I ran at life hard and fast, spending myself whole-heartedly in many directions at once. When I moved back to New Zealand from Sydney in 2009, burnt-out and broken-hearted,
The Deeper Story Behind ‘Sunset Road’ | By Kathryn Overall
On the surface of it, 'Sunset Road', the free single from my album, 'Not All the Leaves are Falling', is a description of the autumn landscape on my Tauranga city to Maketu farm commute as I